Friday, February 27, 2015

My Mastectomy/Latissimis Dorsi Flap/ Reconstruction Surgery


My surgery was on January 21, 2015. I had a  simple mastectomy (removal of all breast tissue including the nipple, but saving the surrounding skin). Sentinel node dissection is the removal of cancerous lymph nodes, on the right side. I had nine positive out of eighteen lymph nodes removed. I also needed a flap procedure on the left side, where they take a piece of skin and muscle from the the back (latissimis dorsi) with it's blood supply and tunnel it under the arm to the front of the breast. This will allow the tissue expanders to stretch the skin properly and allow room for the silicon implants. Which will be a separate surgery. Once the tissue is stretched enough over several weeks. I had radiation on the left side three years ago; over time the skin will scar and make it difficult to have reconstruction. This is why the flap procedure was necessary.

My procedures took about seven hours. I woke up in my room. Once the anesthesia tapered off, I was extremely nauseated and hungry at the same time; not the best combination. I definitely took advantage of the pain medication offered. The one thing my Surgeon didn't warn me about, is the inability to use your chest muscles or the fear of pain. I never would have imagined how difficult it would be to move around in bed or to sit up! I literally felt like a newborn. I needed help to do everything. The extreme difficulty I had just to take a deep breath or even sneezing. It felt like my chest was going to split open. I would suggest deep breathing exercises to avoid getting pneumonia.

 I was afraid of looking at my chest for the first time...  thinking this is not my chest! I have a Barbie chest... plastic feeling, numb and no nipples! I tried to prepare my self before my surgery, looking at pictures and youtube videos. The reality of my situation was it is different for everyone! They are just breast!! I will be perky until I am eighty!! I was released from the hospital two days later.


No comments:

Post a Comment