Sunday, March 22, 2015

Recovery From My Mastectomy



My recovery proved to be the most challenging. I went home with four drains, bandages and a compression bra. I felt like a helpless infant. My chest was both tender and numb. I needed help sitting up and getting out if bed. I couldn't raise my arms above my armpits. My Husband had to help me up using my shoulders. I had a difficult time adjusting to doing next to nothing. I know some days I had roots planted in my mattress. I could only sleep on my back. I am such a multi-tasker what Mom, Wife isn't. I missed doing simple things. All I did was sleep and eat, that comes with the healing process. In the beginning I was in so much pain! I was so thankful for my home care Nurse. Being a Nurse myself, it was nice to be the patient and be able to let go. I had to empty my drains a couple of times a day and log the amounts. I had a special mastectomy bra, which had cute little pouches to hold the drains. I felt like I had a utility belt on! I only left the house for appointments. Since I couldn't raise my arms up, any item of clothing I could zip or button I wore them out. After a couple of weeks, I was able to get the drains out.

 I was a little apprehensive about looking at my chest. I did some major research before and spoke with women that had the same surgery. When I looked at my chest for the first time... I cried! This is not my body... but a new beginning. I no longer have the breasts I was used to. They had to go, they were trying to kill me... metaphorically speaking! I had weekly appointments with my Plastic Surgeon to fill my tissue expanders/ temporary breasts. It was painful, because they are stretching my chest muscles/skin. It's like having a constant muscle spasm for a few days! I would continue this process for about five weeks. Once I reached the desired size to accommodate my new silicon breasts. Now I really look like a Barbie... hard, plastic feeling and no nipples! Unfortunately, I have to wait until after chemotherapy is completed to have the implants placed. I am counting the days. I started physical therapy twice a week, about 8 weeks post-op.  I have made so much progress. I could actually rasie my arms to my shoulders!

 I am so blessed and thankful for my Husband who is my rock and my Mother who basically moved in to help me during the most difficult time of my life. I love you all to the moon and back!  I have some amazing family and friends in my life! I was so thankful for Mary H. who organized a send them a meal program. Everyday for  over a month I received full course meals delivered to my home made with love from co-workers and friends! Something so simple meant the world to me! The numerous prayers, cards, phone calls, thoughtful text messages , flowers, balloons and makeup gifts! Brought me so much gratitude! The power of prayer, faith and a positive attitude... is what got me this far. Don't get me wrong! I have those ugly cry days, but it's healthy.

No comments:

Post a Comment